Pages

Wednesday 18 April 2018

Walking with Anzacs.

We are learning about the conditions, diet and health and the impact this had on Anzac soldiers.
Bully beef, is salty but it was canned and therefore easy to transport for soldiers to carry in their packs. Our Jam came in a jar but theirs was possibly in the small containers or similar to those that we buy in a cafe - when purchasing a scone or toast.  The water rations were not great and so possibly the saltiness of the bully beef made the soldiers even more thirsty,plus the fact that they were living in trenches where there would have been dirt and dust. The risk too of contaminated food was mentioned in my research due to flies that would have been around those who died.
Another point about the diet was that it did not have all the necessary vitamins we need and many soliders' teeth broke due to this and the hard crackers.
Personally, I didn't mind the bully beef and jam and crackers, but if it was the only thing I had to eat then I think my opinion would change.

2 comments:

  1. Wow,
    You look like you are really hungry. Keep up the great work you have been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very brave to try bully beef! I don't think I could do that (but I am vegetarian), I imagine in the war they wouldn't care what they were eating as long as they had food in their bellies, they wouldn't be able to be fussy like me! It is sad to read that they didn't get enough vitamins, they lived in such terrible times and fought hard for our country. Do you know anyone who was in the war?
    Tania

    ReplyDelete